Sunday, January 14, 2007

The Tooth Fairy

As luck would have it, this past Wednesday my oldest daughter lost another tooth. Good for her, but not so good for Daddy. See, on this particular day, my kind and loving wife was going to work. Now, I've been the Tooth Fairy two other times, but this time E got me good.

At about 2:30 a.m. I wake up and realize that I had not made the swap yet. As I enter the room, M is in bed with E. I slide my hand under the pillow only to hear...crunch...scrunch. I feel paper. Not only had my daughter put her tooth under her pillow, but she also wrote a note to the Tooth Fairy.

In my head I'm thinking...child...why would you do this to your Daddy when your mother is not home? Oh boy!

Bleary eyed I carry the note and tooth into the kitchen. On the note are questions...how do you know when I lose a tooth? How do you know where I live? How do I know where she put her tooth? All I can do is shake my head and think...next time...we wait til Mama is home to help.

I write her back as neatly as I can...E...God tells me everything I need to know....TF.

So the next morning, she comes into the bedroom and tells me that she has gotten her money and about the note she wrote. I ask her what the Tooth Fairy's answers were and she said, "I just got one." "Well what is it", I ask. E puts her hands on her hips, looks disheveled and says, "God tells her everything she needs to know, signed TF." Turns in exasperation to walk out of the room and I say, "Well E, I don't know, but that sounds like a pretty good answer to me."

3 comments:

LoryKC said...

The TF has left reply notes here that almost seem as if they were printed from an ink-jet printer! N wants to know how anyone can write THAT neat. (She is also clever at recognizing familiar handwriting.)
My kids have never asked so many questions in one letter, though! Whew!

No need for Mama next time, though! Sounds like the Tooth Fairy handled this one quite nicely! ;)

Anonymous said...

It was a good answer, especially for coming up with one on the spot like that. I'm afraid of what I might see when our time comes (which if you talk to M he constantly has one that is loose, I haven't seen it loose yet though). Is TF handwriting anything like SC's?

Global Greenscape said...

Exactly like Santa's.