Saturday, January 27, 2007

The Divine Ms. M

Yes, I have one of my own too. Mine is precocious, and sweet, a handful, a bundle of laughs, and a pleaser. The last part is what worries me as she gets older.

Earlier this week, Idol was on and I went into the living room to watch with the kids. E asked me a couple of times what I thought about a particular singer. I noticed that every opinion I gave M agreed. So then a few minutes later I asked her if she like the person...she said, "Daddy, what do you think?". I said, "I'm not sure. What do you think?" "Hmm...I don't like it.", she says. "Oh...I do like it M.". "Yeah...me too!"

I try to explain to her that she can have her own opinion. That she doesn't have to agree just because I tell her I like it. I tell her the only person she has to make happy is herself.

I'm going to keep my fingers crossed that she will realize this before puberty!!

2 comments:

LoryKC said...

Don't worry yet. Maybe she's just happy to have you home!
(when things slow down and you can spend lots of time with her--maybe she'll disagree more)! ;)

Seriously though, it's good to point out early though that she can have her own opinions. Sounds like you're doing a great job.

Anonymous said...

You may alread know this, but forming your own opinions or decisions sometimes can be hard!(it's a K trait!). I'm glad you are trying with her. We are going through something similiar with M right now, he asks "which game should I play, which book should I read...etc." The funny part is now when he asks, if I give him an answer, he changes what I pick to something else anyway. Maybe it's a start :)